A coffee maker with a built-in grinder is an excellent investment for coffee enthusiasts who value freshness and convenience. Grinding your own beans before brewing can significantly enhance the flavor and aroma of your coffee. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the top five coffee makers with grinders available in Canada, diving into their features, pros and cons, and customer reviews, so you can find the perfect machine for your needs.
Best Coffee Maker with Grinder in Canada
Breville BDC650BSS The Grind Control Drip Coffee Maker
- Integrated conical burr grinder: The stainless steel conical burr grinder ensures an even and consistent grind for optimal coffee extraction.
- Adjustable grind size: Customize your coffee experience by choosing from six different grind sizes.
- Customizable strength settings: The Breville Grind Control allows you to choose from eight strength settings, so you can enjoy your coffee just the way you like it.
- Programmable auto-start: Set your coffee maker to start brewing at a specific time, so you can wake up to fresh coffee every morning.
- Removable water reservoir and drip tray: These removable components make cleaning and refilling a breeze.
- Highly customizable: The Grind Control offers multiple grind and strength settings, allowing you to create a personalized coffee experience.
- Stainless steel conical burr grinder: The integrated grinder ensures consistently ground coffee beans for optimal flavor extraction.
- Programmable auto-start: Wake up to freshly brewed coffee with the programmable auto-start feature.
- Price: The Breville Grind Control is on the higher end of the price spectrum, which may not be suitable for all budgets.
- Size: Some customers find the machine to be bulky and may not be ideal for smaller kitchens.
“I’ve had the Breville Grind Control for a few months now, and it’s made a huge difference in my daily coffee routine. The customizable grind and strength settings have allowed me to create the perfect cup of coffee every time. The auto-start feature is also a game-changer, making my mornings that much easier.” – Liam, 34
Cuisinart DGB-900BCC Burr Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker
- Built-in burr grinder: The Cuisinart Grind & Brew features a built-in burr grinder, ensuring even grinding and optimal coffee flavor.
- Grind-off option: If you prefer using pre-ground coffee, the grind-off function allows you to brew without using the integrated grinder.
- Programmable timer: Schedule your coffee maker to start brewing at a specific time, perfect for busy mornings.
- 12-cup capacity: The large capacity carafe is ideal for serving multiple guests or for households with several coffee drinkers.
- Brew pause: Enjoy a cup of coffee before the brewing cycle is complete with the convenient brew pause feature.
- Versatility: The Cuisinart Grind & Brew offers both grind and brew functionality, as well as a grind-off option for using pre-ground coffee.
- Large capacity: The 12-cup carafe is perfect for serving multiple guests or satisfying a household of coffee lovers.
- Programmable timer: Enjoy the convenience of waking up to freshly brewed coffee with the programmable timer
- Cleaning: Some customers find cleaning the grinder and coffee chute to be time-consuming and challenging.
- Noise: The integrated grinder may be louder than standalone grinders.
- Limited grind settings: The Cuisinart DGB-900BCC offers fewer grind settings compared to some other models on the market.
I’ve been using the Cuisinart DGB-900BCC Grind & Brew for about six months, and I’m thrilled with its performance. The built-in burr grinder has made a noticeable difference in the taste and aroma of my coffee, and the programmable timer is a lifesaver on busy mornings. I also appreciate the 12-cup capacity, which is great for when I have friends and family over. Cleaning the grinder can be a bit of a hassle, but overall, I’d highly recommend this coffee maker to anyone who values freshly ground coffee.
Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine
- Integrated conical burr grinder: The stainless steel conical burr grinder delivers consistent grind size for optimal espresso extraction.
- Grind size and dose control: Customize your espresso by adjusting the grind size and coffee dose to achieve the perfect balance of flavors.
- Precise temperature control: The digital temperature control (PID) ensures the water is at the ideal temperature for espresso extraction.
- Built-in steam wand: Froth milk for cappuccinos and lattes with the professional-grade steam wand.
- Removable water reservoir: The 2L removable water reservoir allows for easy refilling and cleaning.
- Comprehensive espresso experience: The Barista Express offers all the tools needed to craft the perfect espresso, from grind size and dose control to temperature control and milk frothing.
- Consistent grind size: The integrated conical burr grinder delivers a consistent grind size, ensuring optimal flavor extraction.
- Stylish design: The Breville Barista Express features a sleek, stainless steel design that complements any kitchen.
- Learning curve: Some customers report a learning curve when first using the machine, as it requires manual adjustments and practice to achieve the perfect espresso.
- Price: The Barista Express is on the pricier side, which may not be suitable for all budgets.
I’ve always been a fan of espresso, and the Breville Barista Express has truly elevated my home brewing experience. It took some time to get the hang of all the settings and adjustments, but once I did, I was consistently making cafe-quality espresso right in my own kitchen. The machine is expensive, but for me, it’s been worth every penny.
CUISINART DGB-800C Fully Automatic Coffee Maker
- Built-in burr grinder: The Cuisinart DGB-800C features a built-in burr grinder for consistent grinding and optimal coffee flavor.
- 12-cup capacity: The large capacity carafe is perfect for serving multiple guests or accommodating households with several coffee drinkers.
- Customizable grind and strength: Choose from three grind settings (fine, medium, coarse) and three strength settings (mild, medium, strong) to personalize your coffee.
- Programmable auto-start: Set the coffee maker to start brewing at a specific time, so you can wake up to fresh coffee every morning.
- Grind-off option: If you prefer to use pre-ground coffee, the grind-off feature allows you to brew without using the built-in grinder.
- Customizable settings: The Cuisinart DGB-800C offers various grind and strength settings to tailor your coffee to your preferences.
- Large capacity: The 12-cup carafe is perfect for serving multiple guests or meeting the needs of coffee-loving households.
- Versatility: The grind-off option allows for brewing with pre-ground coffee, offering flexibility for different coffee preferences.
- Cleaning: Some customers find the cleaning process to be cumbersome and time-consuming, particularly for the grinder and coffee chute.
- Noise: The integrated grinder may be louder than standalone grinders.
I’ve been using the Cuisinart DGB-800C for several months, and I’m impressed by its performance and versatility. The customizable grind and strength settings have allowed me to find the perfect balance for my coffee. Cleaning can be a bit tedious, but the fantastic coffee taste makes it worth the effort.
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
- Built-in ceramic grinder: The Philips 3200 Series features a durable ceramic grinder for consistent grinding and optimal espresso flavor.
- Intuitive touch display: Easily customize your espresso, coffee, cappuccino, or latte macchiato with the user-friendly touch display.
- Customizable strength and temperature: Choose from three strength settings and adjust the temperature to create your perfect cup of coffee.
- Integrated milk frother: The LatteGo milk system froths milk directly into your cup for a perfect cappuccino or latte macchiato.
- AquaClean water filter: The AquaClean water filter ensures clean water for up to 5,000 cups of coffee, minimizing the need for descaling.
- Versatile brewing options: The Philips 3200 Series offers multiple brewing options, including espresso, coffee, cappuccino, and latte macchiato.
- Customizable settings: Adjust the strength and temperature settings to tailor your coffee experience.
- Easy-to-use touch display: The intuitive touch display makes it simple to customize and brew your favorite coffee beverages.
- Price: The Philips 3200 Series is a more expensive option, which may not be suitable for all budgets.
- Larger footprint: The machine’s size may not be ideal for smaller kitchens or limited countertop space.
I’ve had the Philips 3200 Series for a little over a year, and it’s become a staple in my daily routine. The touch display is incredibly easy to use, and the customizable settings have allowed me to create my perfect cup of coffee. The integrated milk frother is also fantastic for making cappuccinos and lattes. It’s a pricey machine, but in my opinion, it’s well worth the investment.
How to choose the best coffee maker with grinder
- Grinder Type
There are two primary grinder types in coffee makers: burr grinders and blade grinders.
a) Burr grinders: Burr grinders use two abrasive surfaces (burrs) to crush coffee beans into consistent particles. They are considered superior because they provide uniform grind sizes, leading to better extraction and a more balanced flavor profile. However, burr grinders are typically more expensive than blade grinders.
b) Blade grinders: Blade grinders use a spinning blade to chop coffee beans into smaller particles. Although they are more affordable, they tend to produce uneven grind sizes, resulting in inconsistent flavors and extraction.
When selecting a coffee maker with a grinder, opt for a burr grinder if possible, as it provides a more consistent and higher-quality grind.
- Grind Settings
Customizable grind size is essential for achieving the perfect cup of coffee, as different brewing methods require different grind sizes. For example, a French press requires a coarser grind, while an espresso machine needs a fine grind. Choose a coffee maker with adjustable grind settings to accommodate your preferred brewing method and taste preferences.
- Brewing Options
Some coffee makers with grinders offer multiple brewing options, such as drip coffee, espresso, and single-serve brewing. Consider your coffee preferences and the types of drinks you enjoy before selecting a machine. If you appreciate a variety of coffee beverages, a versatile coffee maker with multiple brewing options might be the ideal choice for you.
Think about the number of people in your household who drink coffee and your typical coffee consumption. Coffee makers with grinders come in various capacities, from single-serve machines to those with a 12-cup or larger carafe. Choose a coffee maker with the capacity that best suits your needs to avoid brewing multiple batches or wasting coffee.
Programmable coffee makers with grinders allow you to set a specific brewing time, ensuring your coffee is freshly brewed and ready when you wake up or arrive home from work. This feature adds convenience to your daily routine and can be especially helpful for busy mornings. Look for a coffee maker with a 24-hour programmable timer if this feature is important to you.
- Ease of Cleaning
Keeping your coffee maker clean is crucial for optimal performance and taste. Some machines have self-cleaning features or dishwasher-safe components, making maintenance easier. Additionally, some coffee makers have removable grinders or easy-to-clean grinder chambers. Consider the cleaning and maintenance requirements of the machine before making your decision.
Coffee makers with built-in grinders come in various price points, ranging from budget-friendly options to high-end models. Consider your budget and the features you value most when selecting a machine. Remember that investing in a high-quality coffee maker with a grinder can save you money in the long run by providing better-tasting coffee and reducing the need for frequent replacements.
Uses of Coffee Maker with Grinder
- Fresher taste and aroma: Grinding coffee beans right before brewing ensures that the coffee’s natural oils and flavors are preserved, resulting in a fresher and more aromatic cup of coffee.
- Customization: Coffee makers with grinders typically offer multiple grind and strength settings, allowing you to tailor your coffee to your preferences.
- Space-saving: Integrating a grinder into a coffee maker saves countertop space by eliminating the need for a separate grinder.
- Consistency: Built-in grinders can deliver consistent grind size, which is crucial for optimal coffee extraction.
- Time-saving: A coffee maker with a grinder streamlines the brewing process by combining two essential steps – grinding and brewing – into one machine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How do I clean a coffee maker with a grinder?
Cleaning a coffee maker with a grinder usually involves the following steps:
- Unplug the machine and remove any removable parts, such as the carafe, filter basket, and grinder components.
- Wash the removable parts with warm, soapy water, and rinse thoroughly.
- Clean the grinder chute or burr grinder with a small brush, ensuring all coffee grounds and oils are removed.
- Wipe the exterior of the machine with a damp cloth.
- Reassemble the machine once all components are dry.
Always consult your coffee maker’s user manual for specific cleaning instructions, as they may vary between models.
- Can I use pre-ground coffee in a coffee maker with a grinder?
Yes, most coffee makers with grinders offer a grind-off option, allowing you to use pre-ground coffee if desired. This feature provides flexibility for those who occasionally prefer pre-ground coffee or have guests with different preferences.
- How often should I replace the burrs in my grinder?
The lifespan of grinder burrs varies depending on the type of burrs (ceramic or steel) and the frequency of use. Generally, steel burrs need to be replaced after grinding 500-1,000 pounds of coffee, while ceramic burrs can last up to 1,000-1,500 pounds. Regularly inspect your burrs for signs of wear and consult your user manual for specific replacement recommendations.
- Can I use oily beans in my coffee maker with a grinder?
Oily beans can cause clogging in some grinders, leading to inconsistent grind size and potential damage to the machine. It is best to use medium-roast beans, which tend to be less oily. If you prefer dark, oily beans, ensure that you clean the grinder more frequently to avoid clogging and potential issues.
- Is it better to use a conical burr grinder or a flat burr grinder?
Both conical and flat burr grinders can produce consistent grind sizes and great-tasting coffee. Conical burr grinders are typically less noisy and produce less heat during grinding, preserving the coffee’s flavor. Flat burr grinders often provide more grind settings and may be more suitable for those who prefer a precise and consistent grind. The choice between conical and flat burr grinders ultimately comes down to personal preference and budget.
A coffee maker with a built-in grinder can significantly enhance your coffee experience by ensuring the freshest, most flavorful cup possible. In this article, we’ve explored the top five coffee makers with grinders available in Canada, discussing their features, pros and cons, and customer reviews. The Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Drip Coffee Maker, Cuisinart DGB-900BCC Burr Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker, Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine, CUISINART DGB-800C Fully Automatic Coffee Maker, and Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine are all excellent options to consider.
When choosing the best coffee maker with a grinder for your needs, keep in mind factors such as brewing options, customization settings, capacity, price, and ease of cleaning. With a little research and consideration, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the ultimate coffee experience right in the comfort of your own home.
“Typical beer trailblazer. Hipster-friendly web buff. Certified alcohol fanatic. Internetaholic. Infuriatingly humble zombie lover.”