Radio:: Friday: UConn Sports Network from Learfield
ESPN 97.9 FM/Varsity Network App
Bob Joyce (pxp)
Video: ESPN+; StretchInternet.com (International)
Live stats: goriverhawks.com/uconnathletics.com
- The UConn Huskies will head to Lowell Massachusetts to begin Hockey East play where they have a rematch of last year’s quarterfinal matchup against the UMass Lowell Riverhawks.
- The Huskies and River Hawks faced off three times last season, twice in the regular season and once in the playoffs. The Huskies took 4 of 6 points from face-offs in regular season games, but UMass Lowell won the playoff final 2-1 last March.
- The Huskies are coming off the weekend 1-1 in Schenectady NY against Union College. So far, the Huskies’ offense has struggled to find the back of the net but exploded for five goals Saturday on 69 total shots. Tristan Fraser He scored two goals while he was a senior goalkeeper Ethan Haider He made 22 saves in the shutout.
- The Huskies relied heavily on their young players to start the season. 5 of the 9 scorers this season were either freshmen or sophomores.
- student Jake Richard He leads the way for the Huskies with two goals and four assists for 6 total points.
- Over the past four seasons, the Huskies are 4-2-1 in conference openers. The Huskies faced Vermont, Boston University, Massachusetts and Merrimack to open their conference rosters during those seasons.
- UMass Lowell comes off the weekend 2-0 against Colgate University. The Huskies faced Colgate to open the season, winning the first game of the final 4-2 and tying the second game 3-3.
- Great goalkeeper Ethan Haider He currently ranks sixth among active goaltenders in the NCAA with a 0.941% save percentage and 1.30 goals against average.
“Alcohol enthusiast. Twitter ninja. Tv lover. Falls down a lot. Hipster-friendly coffee geek.”