Ontario’s push to expand access to family doctors and primary care teams is showing results in the Ottawa region, where the West Carleton Family Health Team has connected more than 4,800 patients to care after receiving more than $1.8 million in provincial funding.
The investment forms part of Ontario’s $3.4-billion Primary Care Action Plan, which aims to connect every resident in the province with a family doctor or primary care team by 2029. The government says the broader initiative will add approximately two million people to primary care over the coming years.
West Carleton Team Exceeds Patient Target
Deputy Premier and Health Minister Sylvia Jones visited the West Carleton Family Health Team in Ottawa on August 19 to highlight progress under the provincial program.
The team received more than $1.8 million through the 2025–26 call for proposals and began attaching patients to primary care in August 2025. Since then, more than 4,800 patients have been enrolled, exceeding the original target of 4,550 by more than five per cent.
“As we work to connect everyone to primary care by 2029, our government is protecting Ontario’s health-care system by investing in new and expanded primary care teams in Ontario communities, including Ottawa, that will keep families healthier while relieving pressures on emergency departments,” said Sylvia Jones, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “We encourage those looking for a new family doctor or primary care provider to sign up for Health Care Connect, the fastest and most seamless way to get connected to a family doctor, nurse practitioner or primary care team.”
Ontario says nearly 90 per cent of residents are currently connected to a primary care provider. Residents who remain without a provider can register through Health Care Connect.
Team-Based Care Expands Across Ottawa Region
The West Carleton initiative brings together several primary care and community organizations, including the Ottawa Valley Family Health Team, Arnprior & District Family Health Team, Richmond Medical Centre, Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre and Rideauwood Addictions & Family Services.
Of the more than 4,800 patients attached through the initiative, more than 1,700 came from the Health Care Connect waiting list.
“The investment through Ontario’s Primary Care Action Plan has allowed us to do something that I think is particularly important—bring multiple primary care and community organizations together to build capacity across our community, rather than each of us working independently. Through our Integrated Primary Care Team partnership with the Ottawa Valley Family Health Team, Arnprior & District Family Health Team, Richmond Medical Centre, Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre and Rideauwood Addictions & Family Services, we have now attached more than 4,800 patients to primary care, including more than 1,700 people from the Health Care Connect list. Just as importantly, this investment is helping us expand access to allied health services and better connect patients, particularly those with more complex needs, to the clinical and community supports they need. We are grateful for the province’s investment and for the flexibility to build a collaborative model that strengthens access and team-based care for both newly attached and existing patients.”
– Chris LeBouthillier, Executive Director, West Carleton Family Health Team
Ontario Plans Further Primary Care Expansion
The province established its Primary Care Action Plan in January 2025 after appointing Dr. Jane Philpott as chair of the Primary Care Action Team in October 2024.
Two funding rounds have since resulted in 199 successful applications for new or expanded interprofessional primary care teams. Those projects are expected to connect approximately 800,000 additional residents with care.
Another call for proposals is scheduled for September 2026. Ontario plans to create or expand approximately 78 teams through that round, with a goal of connecting another 600,000 people.
Separately, 124 successful applicants under the 2026–27 funding round are expected to connect about 500,000 patients, including people currently waiting through Health Care Connect.
Province Targets Workforce and Digital Improvements
Ontario is also developing a provincewide Primary Care Medical Record system intended to integrate patient information, improve care coordination and reduce administrative demands on doctors and other providers.
The government says more than 20,000 physicians have been added to Ontario’s health-care workforce since 2018, including an increase of more than 14 per cent in the number of family doctors. In 2025, more than 2,300 U.S.-licensed nurses and over 570 U.S. physicians chose to practise in Ontario.
“Under Minister Jones’ leadership, Ontario’s Primary Care Action Plan is delivering real results for families in Carleton and across Ottawa. The West Carleton Family Health Team is helping connect more patients to timely, team-based care close to home, while strengthening primary care across our community. I’m proud to see these investments making a meaningful difference for local families.”
– George Darouze, MPP for Carleton
With additional funding rounds planned and new primary care teams being established across Ontario, the province is relying on expanded team-based care, workforce recruitment and digital health infrastructure to meet its goal of connecting every Ontarian to primary care by 2029.

