Ontario’s Office of the Chief Coroner has scheduled a five-day inquest into the death of Richard Preston, a 79-year-old man who died in hospital in 2019 after being transferred from the Toronto South Detention Centre.
The inquest is set to begin at 9 a.m. on September 21, 2026, and is expected to examine the circumstances surrounding Preston’s death, according to an announcement from Ontario’s Ministry of the Solicitor General.
Dr. Kenneth Peckham, Regional Supervising Coroner for the Central Region’s Central West Office, announced the date on August 21. Dr. James Kovacs will serve as the presiding officer, while Indira Stewart has been appointed as inquest counsel.
Inquest to Examine Circumstances Surrounding 2019 Death
Preston died on July 26, 2019, at Trillium Health Partners – Mississauga Hospital. He had been transferred to the hospital from the Toronto South Detention Centre before his death.
The upcoming inquest will examine the circumstances surrounding the death and provide a formal public process for reviewing the events that preceded it.
Under Ontario’s coroner system, an inquest is a public hearing conducted to examine the circumstances surrounding a death. A jury hears evidence during the proceedings and may issue recommendations intended to help prevent similar deaths in the future.
In Preston’s case, the jury will have the opportunity to make recommendations aimed at preventing further deaths after considering the evidence presented during the proceedings.
Approximately Eight Witnesses Expected to Testify
The provincial government said the inquest is expected to run for five days, with testimony anticipated from approximately eight witnesses.
The announcement did not provide further details about the identities of the witnesses or the specific evidence expected to be presented during the hearing.
The proceedings will be led by Kovacs as presiding officer, with Stewart serving as inquest counsel. The role of inquest counsel includes presenting relevant evidence and assisting the proceeding in examining the circumstances surrounding the death.
The hearing will focus on establishing and reviewing the facts related to Preston’s death rather than determining criminal or civil liability.
Proceedings Will Be Conducted by Video Conference
The entire inquest will take place by video conference, allowing members of the public to follow the proceedings remotely.
The province said members of the public who want to observe the hearing will be able to watch it live through the online viewing link designated for the Richard Preston inquest.
The virtual format provides public access to the proceedings without requiring attendees to travel to a physical hearing location. The Ministry of the Solicitor General did not indicate in its announcement that an in-person component would be available.
Coroner’s Inquests Can Lead to Prevention Recommendations
Coroner’s inquests in Ontario are intended to publicly examine deaths in circumstances where a broader review may contribute to public safety and death-prevention measures.
While an inquest jury does not assign legal responsibility, it can make recommendations based on the evidence heard during the proceedings. Such recommendations may be directed toward institutions, government bodies or other organizations where changes could potentially reduce the risk of similar deaths.
The Preston inquest will therefore provide an opportunity to review the circumstances surrounding his transfer from the Toronto South Detention Centre and his subsequent death at Trillium Health Partners – Mississauga Hospital.
With approximately eight witnesses expected to appear over five days, the proceedings are scheduled to begin on September 21. Any recommendations ultimately issued by the jury will form part of the inquest’s public findings and could identify measures intended to prevent similar deaths in the future.

